Monday, September 1, 2014

WINGS: Beckah




How beautiful were my wings --
Do you remember them?
Brilliant, many colored;
Called bright as joy, strong as love.
They deftly, smoothly, propelled
Me up into the sky above.
O, my wonderful wings.

And how thrilling those wings
That settled in my heart.
Do you remember those?
Did you even know they were?
How they fluttered and rose,
And set winds a stir.
You created those wings.

O, those delicate wings --
Which you tore to shreds.
You plucked out each feather,
You tossed them aside,
And you left me forever.
Did you know I nearly died,
Plummeting without wings?

Then came he with new wings,
Offered in place of those.
How terrible and strong --
What power they brought with!
With my Father's gift, I was famed in song
As the fearsome Dragonwitch.
O, how delightful those wings!

Yet even he took 'way my wings.
He cast me away to this,
This dust-bound body --
This body without flight!
But how my fire shall burn heavy
When I have my chance of fight
And when I regain my wings!

What do you say? You offer wings?
Those paltry, feathery bits?
Ha. Those weak things?
Of hot fire and hard scale,
Those are my wings.
What you offer...would only fail.
I'll never again take such wings.

If I had had my wings,
I might have flown above;
I might have escaped the waters,
I might have lived still.
My fire had never burned hotter,
And now never will.
If I had only had strong wings.


Ytotia








VOTING: If you would like to vote on this or any of the other fan fiction submissions, email your top three titles to me at aestengl@gmail.com. Voting is for fans of the Goldstone Wood series only.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

You have a great gift for poetry, Beckah!

ghost ryter said...

@Allison: *blushes* Thank you. :)

Micailah said...

That was beautiful!

Becky said...

Expressive...lyrical...hopeless...the Dragonwitch. Well done, Beckah. I agree that you have a gift for poetry.

Meredith said...

Phenomenal poem that brought tears to my eyes. Poor Ytotia. I loved how you had her directly address the Dragon, Amarok and the Lumil Eliasul, (or perhaps Etanun?) Such a complex villain with such a sad history. Excellent work.

Sara said...

I love this! It's very well put together and has a nice rhythm to it. And it evokes so many different emotions! I also like the picture at the end, a nice reminder of Ytotia when she was still innocent and beautiful.

ghost ryter said...

Thanks for the lovely comments! I'm glad you guys like it.

Clara said...

I always love your poetry! And this is simply beautiful.

Hannah said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! :) And I love that picture!

Jill Stengl said...

So poignant and heart-wrenching! Beautiful work, Beckah.

Sarah Pennington said...

This is lovely.

ghost ryter said...

@Clara: You're so sweet! Thank you!
Hannah: Thank you! And I'm glad you you liked the picture.
@Jill Stengl: I feel honored thst you think so, Mrs. Strange! Thank you!
@Sarah: Awe, thanks so much. : )

Unknown said...

Welp, they're right! You do have a beautiful knack for poetry!! This was so beautiful and heart-wrenching! You've characterized Hri Sora so perfectly and I love how you can feel the change she goes through as you read it! It's beautiful and haunting and tragic, truly one to make the heart ache! Fantastic job!!

Blessings,
Melanie