Monday, September 1, 2014

ROSE: Sara Menold





Sometimes I don’t know when I dream and when I am awake.
A cacophony of voices assails my ears.
Which are real? Are any?
Am I a princess, or a demon? I have been called both,
But I don’t feel like either.
I am just Rose – nothing more, nothing less.
Does anyone truly see me? Many claim
To have my best interests at heart.
But how then, can they speak such opposite things?
I wish I could shut out every voice and just hear
The truth within myself.
But when I do, I find nothing within
Only emptiness.

The sweet trill of birdsong pierces
The barricades I have raised around me.
A hand brushes my veil aside and lifts my chin,
And I see myself reflected in the eyes of One who is Truth.
My pale-moon face with all its lines and crags, exposed –
Naked. Real. Beautiful.
…Beautiful? Yes.
Who am I? I ask. The answer comes,
Swift and sure: You are my child.
And I find that is all I need to know.


  


VOTING: If you would like to vote on this or any of the other fan fiction submissions, email your top three titles to me at aestengl@gmail.com. Voting is for fans of the Goldstone Wood series only.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Rosie! That was beautiful, Sara!

ghost ryter said...

Sara, this is nice. You have a gift with blank verse poetry. Like Rosie, this poem is lovely. I think the most wonderful thing is that this is so perfect for Rose Red, but the poem can absolutely stand by itself and NOT be fanfiction.

Meredith said...

I loved how this poem was from Rosie's perspective. Also agree with Ghost Writer that it stands perfectly on its own as a poem. In the end, if we are God's children, that is indeed all that matters. Beautiful message. Terrific job!

Hannah said...

Aw.....so sweet and so true! :')

Becky said...

Oh to see ourselves reflected in the eyes of the One Who is Truth! Such a beautiful poem that shares Rosie's heart-felt questions and the loving answer she receives. I agree with the others it can stand on its own.

Becky said...

Oh to see ourselves reflected in the eyes of the One Who is Truth! Such a beautiful poem that shares Rosie's heart-felt questions and the loving answer she receives. I agree with the others it can stand on its own.

Sarah Pennington said...

This is lovely, and so true. Very well done.

Unknown said...

Ouch, this hits home. :') This was so beautiful, the poem itself and the amazing theme. Absolutely gorgeous. And you executed it wonderfully, the theme stands so clear and so beautiful...and the ending is amazing. And using Rosie as the speaker was a perfect idea. Awesome job!!

Blessings!
Melanie