Tuesday, September 1, 2015

QUEEN OF GHOSTS - Merenwen


This city is mine:
Red stones burned black,
Towers high felled,
The land enticed with a taste of Death.
Etalpalli.

The people, so beautiful,
On whom no hold the earth could claim,
Burned in my fury.

Ghosts I rule now,
Echoes and screams of dreams lost.
The Pit is filled with their cries,
A coldness in the midst of the leering sky.
Etalpalli is my demesne.

The streets I roamed, burning with the hatred
That had given this land a thirst for blood.
The graves, the horrible graves!
For a moment my fire freezes.
Etalpalli!

This was not meant to be!
Etalpalli!
Faces dear, wings spread in glorious flight.
A crown, a mound, and the Bronze.
Faces torn thin in resistance.
The fire overtakes me.

A queen of ghosts,
They follow me.
Etalpalli.



VOTING: If you would like to vote on this or any of the other fan fiction submissions, send me a list of your top three favorite POEMS and your top three favorite STORIES. (aestengl@gmail.com) Voting is for fans of the Goldstone Wood series only.

8 comments:

Savannah P. said...

This poem is so beautiful, but so sad at the same time. You did a wonderful job, Merenwen :). ~Savannah P.

Hannah said...

Oh, these Etalpallian poems are killin' me! Beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Beautiful! Haunting. So Hri Sora! Yikes, yeah Hannah what is with all the Etalpallian poems? I guess it's kind of the saddest story there is, and poems are good with sadness. Especially this one. Great job Merenwen! Fantastic!

-Rebekah Lawrence (AKA Stargazer / Rebekah L.

Meredith said...

Beautiful. I liked how this poem is Rhi Sora's address to her demesne. You really captured her spirit's sorrow. I'm really enjoying all the poems about Rhi Sora. Obviously our hearts break for her. Her character is so fascinating.

Corrie said...

Wow. Reading that line, "This was not meant to be!" is one of the few times I've ever really felt for the Dragonwitch - a queen who once loved and wanted to serve her people. I love that.

ghost ryter said...

Chilling. I don't usually like free-verse poems, but this is excellent! Beautiful and deeply sad. Very well done!

Merenwen Inglorion said...

Glad you all enjoyed it! I had fun writing it. Well, not "fun" per say, but a bittersweet enjoyment of sympathizing with Hri Sora. If you know what I mean... :)

Thanks for the encouragement. ^.^

Sarah Pennington said...

Amazing work! Very well done!