Thursday, August 1, 2013

Fan Fiction Contest 2013: O Gleamdren, Sweet Gleamdren

 

(To the Tune of “Flow Gently, Sweet Afton”)

 
Oh, Gleamdren, sweet Gleamdren
With beauty so rare.
No jewel can outshine you
Your face is so fair.
Yet, fairest of all is your kind and good heart,
You gave your own gown to a soul torn apart.
 
Oh, there are great maidens
Whose beauty is sublime.
Yet, none compares with the one for whom I pine.
I’ve heard tell of one
In great stories of old
Who faced a ruthless Wolf Lord,
For she was brave and bold.
 
Ah! Her courage is nothing
When one thinks of you.
Fair Gleamdren, you submitted to Death’s own dark brood.
You were captured and rescued by one suitor so fine.
Who offered his love with few words but kind eyes.
 
Yet, you, my love Gleamdren
All suits do disdain.
For your love is greater than any proclaimed.
I’ve heard of One’s Love that cannot be explained,
For He loved others who bore him disdain.
 
Ah! But, happy maid, your love is better by far,
A goddess are you in your own rich bazaar.
Many admire you from near and from far,
And, you admire Yourself, my bright, shining star.
 
Oh, Gleamdren, sweet Gleamdren
With beauty so rare.
No jewel can outshine you
Your face is so fair.
Yet, fairest of all is your kind and good heart.
You gave your own gown to a soul torn apart.

NOTE: This song by Sir Eanrin, Chief Poet of Iubdan Tynan and Great Queen Bebo is one of the most requested of the Bard’s songs.  Yet, for some unexplained reason, Queen Bebo does not allow it to be performed frequently.  Also, when it is performed by the Chief Poet, Bebo’s cousin finds that her presence is required elsewhere.  As for the other maiden mentioned in the song, her name is not known by me.
  --Chief Scribe of Rudiobus.


 THE END

If you would like to vote on this or any other Goldstone Wood Fan Fiction, email me at aestengl@gmail.com with the titles of your top three picks. Winners will be announced September 1st.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this poem! It's exactly something Eanrin would write!

Meredith said...

Thank you. I felt a bit guilty, actually, but shhe needs to be taken down a peg or two, don't you think? Mind you, if she actually becomes a knight in a later book, (which, knowing the multi-faceted depth of this series, is entirely possible), I'll send my apologies. God bless.

Hannah said...

This is genius. Sheer genius! I love this so much, Meredith. Thank you for gifting us with your poetic brilliance.

Meredith said...

My poetic genius? My word! I cannot write a poem to save my life! But, thanks for the encouragement. I am loving your stories, Hannah, and I hope that you had a terrific summer. I also love your blog, "The Writer's Window," and your interview with Sir Etanun was outstanding. Still haven't gotten to read Dragonwitch yet, but I'm excited to do so. God bless you.

Unknown said...

Meredith, this poem fits the characters so well! Eanrin's sarcasm was practically dripping through the lines--loved it! (And I agree, Gleamdren does need to realize she's not all that ;) ). Again, amazing work! :)

Sir Eanrin said...

Sarcasm? I meant every word!

Jill Stengl said...

Heheheheh! I can see why Gleamdren avoids listening to this particular ode in her honor! Sir Eanrin is such a . . . such a cat!

S.F. Gorske said...

Great poem! It flows well, and sounds like something just out of Eanrin's mouth. I'm very intrigued by Gleamdren, and this poem captures her perfectly, through the sarcasm and veiled words. Great job!

Rebekah said...

"O Gleamdren, Sweet Gleamdren..."
I am ruined for this song.
I've always loved 'Flow Gently, Sweet Afton' and the words you created fit so well!
I cannot stop singing it - or at least humming it to myself with the words in mind.
"...And you admire Yourself"
Ha - genius.

Meredith said...

Thank you, Rebekah. I love "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton". The tune dips and soars, and it's a tune I could very easily picture Sir Eanrin singing in his "golden voice". I'd imagine he'd really add some trills and do some major hamming. If you'd read the original Robert Burn poem, "Afton Waters," you'll see that the theme reminds me a lot of the Starflower book cover. In fact, I recently discovered a verse of the poem I'd never heard before, and I got goosebumps. I won't spoil it for you, but it's pretty amazing. God bless.