Monday, December 9, 2013

VEILED ROSE Read-Along: Chapter 8

Things are starting to get tense for our Leo and Rose Red . . . but before we get started, let me quickly remind you that if you are wondering how to get your name entered in the weekly drawing, please check out the November 30 post. It will enlighten you.

And now, back to our story . . .

PART ONE

Chapter 8

The cave: Once more, Rose Red leads Leo by strange Paths up to the wolf’s head cave. There’s a strong implication that she leads him outside of his own world, though it’s never overtly stated. He cannot even find rocks to support himself against, but must cling to Bloodbiter’s Wrath and allow Rose Red to guide him. Again, an interesting moment of dependence in our bold Leo . . . 

What a tale this would be: Leo is all about being part of the legends and stories of his own nation. He wants the heroes of old to be real, and he wants to take his place among them. This desire is a good one, a strong motivation in a young heart.

But Leo has other motivations and desires equally strong. Such as the desire to impress Foxbrush. The desire to be perceived as a hero is just as strong as the desire to actually be a hero. Possibly stronger.

A reflected glimpse: So Leo has his first glimpse of the monster. And what he sees makes him furiously angry . . . but the text doesn’t tell us what he saw exactly. It says he saw the monster . . . and he tells us he saw a reflection of his own “fool face.” But what is not being revealed here?

Here is another instance where, by not giving away all information, I hoped to encourage the reader to engage with the text. Many readers get frustrated these days if everything is not neatly spoon-fed them. But there are still readers out there who like a challenge. Who like to be given little puzzle-pieces which they have to try to fit together. And even then, the puzzles pieces don’t necessarily form the same picture for everyone.

I try not to be obscure when I write, because obscurity implies lack of control. But I do like to withhold my hand now and then. To make readers work for it. This scene is one such instance.

Though, of course, if you stick with the book, I believe that later on Leo does tell us more specifically what he saw that night.

As though the Black Dogs themselves pursued him: I believe this is the first mention of the Black Dogs in the whole Goldstone Wood series, though they are an important pair. Foreshadowing!

Returning Home: And so, though the summer is not yet quite over, Leo is to be sent home early for staying out late. He seems strangely uncaring in the passages telling of arrangements, etc. What about that close friendship? Does he truly value it so little?

Or did what he see in the pool have an altering affect on him? I don’t think he will ever fully recover from that vision, whatever it was. At least, not for a long time . . . 

Foxbrush, at last: After a summer of curiosity over Leo’s doings, I think Foxbrush couldn’t stand it anymore. My speculation is, knowing that his cousin was about to leave and probably never return, Foxbrush figured that this was his last chance to find out what Leo has been up to. So, when Leo stepped out to seek Rose Red, Foxbrush, in a surprisingly intrepid moment (for him), decided to follow.

And so he glimpses Rose Red.

I half wonder, while reading this scene, if Rose Red might not have been wearing her veil. (Again, I really don’t remember what I originally intended. Have I mentioned the entire drafting of this novel is a complete blur in my memory?) It doesn’t say that she was veiled. And Foxbrush’s reaction to her might imply that she wasn’t. That Leo was talking to her face to face. It’s possible that what Leo saw in the pool was Rose Red’s reflection . . . so she didn’t bother to hide her face from him in this scene.

But, the reader doesn’t know for sure! And neither do we know for certain what Foxbrush and Leo saw that day either. Perhaps Foxbrush simply saw the veiled girl and thought that frightening enough.

I simply doubt it . . .

You’re bewitched: And here we see the beginning of a rumor that will go on to haunt Leo for many, many years to come . . . all the way into the next novel, with disastrous consequences.

Questions on the Text:

1. The text says that Leo saw the monster when he looked into the pool. He says he saw only a reflection. What do you think this means? What did he truly see?

2. On a similar note, what do you think Foxbrush saw?

3. Any favorite lines?

Q&A is going to have to wait until tomorrow . . . I'm taking a bit of a break for Sunday evening! But I'll catch up on all of your awesome questions on Tuesday.

11 comments:

Sarah Pennington said...

1. I think he saw himself as he really was, with all his faults (which he, like most humans, tries to pretend don't exist), and it scared him. Or maybe he saw what he was going to be if he continued like he was.
2. I don't think Foxbrush saw Rose Red with her veil off. I think he saw her with her veils- but because he wasn't friends with her like Leo was, she scared him.

Meredith said...

I love Ms. Sarah's answers.

1. I, too, agree that Leo saw himself with all the pretenses stripped away. Hence his anger is justified since it implies a deep-rooted desire to overcome the truth. Of course, he cannot do so on his own. I think Rose Red might have thought the anger was directed at her. To be fair, I think rereading the book might color my response. I believe the first time I read the book, I thought he'd seen the Dragon as well as himself and did not want to admit it. Now I think he never saw the Dragon although the Dragon probably saw him.

2. So interesting that Leo and Rosie might have actually been talking face-to-face. I'd never considered that, but it makes a lot of sense. I think Foxbrush saw her unveiled. This answer is based on his actions later on in the story.

Hannah said...

1. You know, I think he saw two things. He saw Rosie (whose appearance wasn't much of a surprise) and he saw himself with fearsome clarity.

2. Wow, I never considered that Foxbrush might have seen Rosie without her veils! But while it would make sense, considering his reaction, I still think she had her veils on, because later in the book, *SPOILER* Rosie acts afraid of Leo seeing her without her veil, and he tells her he already saw in the cave.

3. Dame Willowfair had not yet risen, and her fine young son was hiding away in the library, hoping that nobody would decide at the last minute to send him with his cousin.

Unknown said...

Will most of your future stories take place in new lands, or can we expect the bulk to be set in relatively familiar countries?

Anonymous said...

1. I'm guessing he saw himself in a way he's never has before.

2. To tell you the truth, I never thought that Foxbrush saw Rosie without her veil. I'm thinking he saw her without it.

- Heather

Anonymous said...

Oops. I meant "he has never before."

- Heather

Anonymous said...

1. I think he saw what Rose Red saw. An image.

2. I think Foxbrush saw Rose Red veiled.

3. Foxbrush dropped snide remark after snide remark, impressing himself with his own witticisms. pg. - 88


Caitlyn


In the last chapter, it said the Wood laughed at him while he was on that Path. How did the laugh begin?

Also, are there names for each of these Paths in particular?

Anonymous said...

Jemma
1.I think he saw himself and saw that there was no monster exept in his imagination.
2. What Leo saw the 1st time before he got acquainted.

I realy like this section of the book but this is the end of this section.

Therru Ghibli said...

1. Leo saw the true monster.

2. Foxbrush saw the imagined monster.

Unknown said...

1. Well, this is my first time reading the book... my personal instincts are that he likely saw Rose, perhaps unveiled, and also saw himself. I think the reflection of him perhaps showed him himself deep down who he was inside - I'm reminded of what Mousehand said: "there ain’t no monster on this mountain save that which you brought yourself", so I suspect that's part of it.

2. Interesting, I hadn't thought of him perhaps seeing Rose unveiled. I guess it depends on if Leo saw Rose unveiled in the cave - if he did then it seems more likely that she might not be wearing her veils when she comes out to talk to him.

3. My favorite line: "Leo's face wrinkled and he suddenly found it difficult to breathe, to think even. He didn't know what emotion it was that clutched at his heart, but it was something like fear. Fear of nothing he could name, but fear as potent as poison. Dragons eat them, why were there tears in his eyes?"

Anna said...

1. Somehow, I think Leo might have seen a reflection of himself, which explains why he was so angry later.

2. I think Foxbrush saw Rosie with her veils and was scared in the same way Leo was when he first saw her, but didn't stop to find out that she was "just a girl." ;)