Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fan Art Contest: The Winner!

And the winner, of the Spring 2013 Tales of Goldstone Wood Fan Art Contest is . . . . .


 
Fey Fight
by
HANNAH WILLIAMS
Congratulations, Hannah Williams! What a fantastic painting this is, so full of energy and character and terrifying beauty. You captured the climactic scene of Starflower, a moment of villainy and true heroism. Looking at this piece, I feel as though I am gazing through a window right into the world of my imagination.
And the fans must have felt the same, because they have voted you their winner! You have officially won a free first edition copy of Dragonwitch. Email me your mailing address, and I will be certain you are sent one of the very first copies, hot off the press.
However, it was a very close contest, my friends. The top three were all within a single vote of each other! So I have decided to give prizes to second and third place as well.
The second place winner is . . .
 
Una
by
GWEN PHILLIPS
The lovely, naive, messy-haired princess of Parumvir is perfectly rendered in this elegant pencil portrait. I believe this must be Una near the end of Heartless, for there is a serenity and peace in her eyes, a sense of new wisdom and understanding. But she still has the mischievous quirk to her lips, like she's just managing to supress a grin at some antic of Prince Felix!
This gorgeous portrait captured the hearts of the voters. Well done, Gwen Phillips! We are all thrilled by your talent. Please email me your mailing address, and you will receive your second place prize: a Tales of Goldstone Wood coffee mug and collection of bookmarks, pencils, and pens!
And the breathtaking third place winner of this contest is . . .
 
Always Come Back for You
by
MELANIE MORGAN
I know I am not the only viewer to gasp out loud when I first saw this amazing piece! The dragon is alive with fire, and the scene is full of his fury . . . but that fury cannot overcome the deep love of Prince Aethelbald for his princess. What a powerful scene to illustrate, and so gorgeously done. I am in awe of your talent, Melanie!
Please email me your mailing address, and I will send you your third place prize: a collection of Goldstone Wood bookmarks, pencils, pens, and stickers.
 
Thank you to all the wonderful artists who participated in this contest. Every one of you (even those of you who turned in late projects) earned numerous votes from impressed viewers. I certainly could not have called the winner until the very end. I am blessed and thrilled by your talent, and I hope to see more wonderful work from all of you in contests to come!
In the meanwhile, I'll be putting many of these pieces up on the various fan art pages for these books. Feel free to submit more pieces for the fan art pages . . . or hold onto them for future contests! This one was so much fun, I think I might host another one this autumn. What do you think?
In the meanwhile, don't forget the upcoming Parumvir Banquet to which you are all invited in April. And soon after that I'll be announcing an exciting fiction contest. So keep your eyes open!
Be sure to congratulate the winners in the comments below.

22 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh My Goodness!!! Eep! I can barely believe it! I had no idea who would win and I knew that whatever the result was it would extremely close. Wow!

Congratulations, Gwen! I absolutely adore your picture of Una. And I agree with Anne, there is a depth of wisdom to her eyes (actually to all the eyes you draw) that is beautiful.

Congratulations, Melanie! When I first saw your piece, my breath was truly taken away! It is SO stunning. You've inspired me to try my hand at digital art!

There was so many gorgeous pieces! I adore these contests, it's so great to see everyone's brilliant creativity! And now a fan fiction contest coming up???? *Happy Sigh*
Thank you to everyone who participated. It was such a thrill to see when everyone's pictures were first shown. :)
Thank you, Anne, for hosting the contest!

Unknown said...

All three of these are absolutely breathtaking! Beautiful work. Congratulations to the winners!

Unknown said...

Yay, congrats everyone! Your work was amazing, and your wins well deserved! :D

Kara said...

Well done to EVERY artist who entered this contest, you are so creative and talented!!!
Big time congrats to the winners! Thanks for sharing your work, it was truly a challenge to vote on this contest with so many great entries :)

Sarah Pennington said...

Congratulations, winners! These are amazing pieces of artwork; you totally deserve to win!

SaraLyn said...

Wow, totally agree with Sarah, you do deserve to win, your work is incredible. This competition has been so much fun, I so hope we can do this again. :)

Maiden G. said...

Congratulations Hannah, Gwen, and Melanie!!!!!!
Enjoy 'Dragonwitch'!
And I am so glad I didn't win, especially compared to you guys!

J. L. Mbewe said...

Yea! Congrats y'all! :-)

Christa said...

Congratulations to all the winners!!!

Molly said...

Ooh Hannah I thought you would do it!! :D

Gwen I did love your picture of Una; I saw that quirk and I thought it was brilliant. Wouldn't you say you put sort of a ring around her? (get it?)

Melanie, I almost died when I saw the dragon; I just love them and this was perfect!

Thanks for your brilliant artwork, winners! I loved everyone's entries!

Rae said...

Yay! Congrats, Hannah, Gwen, and Melanie!

Everyone's artwork was so gorgeous; thanks, Anne Elisabeth, for hosting such a fun contest! :)

Anonymous said...

Two of the ones I voted for got up there! Good job guys!!!!

Omami. said...

congrats Hannah and also Gwen and Melanie. Great job.

Meredith said...

Congratulations to all the winners of this outstanding contest! It's so wonderful that so many people are inspired by the Goldstone Wood books. Just shows how God's gift of creativity can branch outward from one person to many people and that the messages from these stories can be depicted not only through words but through marvelous and unique pictures. Every single artist is a winner.

To Hannah: Thank you again for your marvelous descriptions for all the artwork, and I am so proud of you! "Fey Fight" depicted one of my favorite scenes in Starflower, Amarok's malevolence, Imraldera's fear yet ultimate courage, and Eanrin's desperation and determination to protect the one he loves. All right, so maybe he won't admit it, but that's beside the point! Great work and please continue pursuing your artistic talents, (both visual and literary). I know you'll love Dragonwitch!

Thanks so much, Mrs. Stengl, for making your blog such an accessible place for people to fellowship and pursue gifts that God has bestowed.

God bless you all and happy Easter.

Kathleen said...

Congratulations!!!! They were all amazing. Enjoy dragonwhitch Hannah! You deserve it! For not only your art work but you heart :)

Molly said...

Also, can I ask how many votes either of mine got? (I'm just curious :D I won't be sad if it got just a few, it's just driving me crazy that I don't know!)

Man I just love these so much. I keep on coming back to this post to stare at them...

Hannah said...

Thank you everybody! This contest sure was fun!

Meredith: Thank you for your encouragement! You're such a blessing! :)

Kathleen: Thank you, Kathleen, that's so very sweet!

Molly: I know that I and my mom loved your picture of the Parumvir chef! SO cute and so full of detail. My dad saw it and thought it was adorable.
And Mom and I loved the concept of Leo entering the forest. By the way, the perspective of the trees going uphill was very well done.

And thank you, Anne! I hugely look forward to reading Dragonwitch!

Becky said...

Congratulations Hannah, Gwen, and Melanie...and to all that entered. It was truly amazing and so enjoyable to see all the beautiful entries. Every single entry showed God given talent. I know with time and practice that talent continues to develop too, so keep it up artists. All your entries and your hearts and kindness toward one another are such a blessing!

Meredith, you so eloquently put into words the thoughts that I had about about Ms. Stengl's Tale of Goldstone Wood inspiring so much creativity in so many artists. You always encourage me with your comments.

Anne Elisabeth, you are such a wonderful example to me in your willingness to share and encourage others. Thank you.

Camryn Lockhart said...

Congratulations you guys! Your artwork is beautiful! Those were my favorites. :)

In Christ,
Camryn

Clara said...

You deserved it Hannah! Those are all stunning and well deserving of their winning titles!!!!

Anne Elisabeth Stengl said...

@Molly: I don't have the scores in front of me right now, but I know that yours got two or three votes . . . which doesn't sound like a lot until you look at how many pieces they were up against! You did very well indeed. I hope you'll keep drawing and submitting more work! I'll feature any drawings you send me on the book pages. :)

Thank you again to everyone who participated and voted. Such a lovely event this turned into! I just love "hanging out" with all of you Goldstone Wood Imps.

Molly said...

I'm really happy I got some votes! Even if it was one I would have been glad. :D Good good. Thanks!