Monday, September 9, 2013

Music I Am Currently Listening To (Perhaps on Repeat)

I'm not one to soundtrack my novels, and I have the greatest difficulty listening to music while working (usually . . . some days I can put on a little gentle instrumental and it might be okay). However, as I've been pounding away on Book 7 in the Tales of Goldstone Wood, a couple of songs have been sticking in my head. And I thought perhaps you might enjoy them as well.

The first of those songs is "Les Sans Papier" from the musical Notre Dame de Paris.

Let me s'plain: In my current story, there are three dominant people groups living in the same land. One of those people groups, the Chhayans, are the displaced original inhabitants. They have a long-standing, bitter hatred of their supplanters--the Kitar--who stole not only their land, but also their religion.

So, while this song is not the same story by any means, whenever I listen to it, I hear some of the bitterness of the Chhayan people, crying out at the injustice they feel both from their conquerors and from their goddess.

 
If you are unfamiliar with this particular French-language musical, I do highly recommend it. I was more than a little obsessed with it (and the novel on which it is based) when I was 20. And I still really love it!
 
In fact, I love it so much, I'll share one more video from it. This is "Lune," and it's sung by Gringoire, the poet. Any surprise that it makes me think of a certain character in my stories? :)
 
 
Seriously, doesn't that make you think of Eanrin? Especially if you read the translation (though the original French is much better!). Eanrin would, I think, sing of his heartbreak to the Moon. And his voice probably sounds very much like Bruno Pelletier. (Though I'm open to other alternatives if you think another's voice is better match!)
 
So I could keep posting Notre Dame de Paris videos all evening if I'm not careful. Thus I will move on.
 
This next song is one that I don't listen to very often. I really can't. It moves me to tears every time. And I'm not a mother! I don't know if I'll be able to listen to this should I ever have children. So you are fairly warned.
 
 
Obviously, this song is based on events in the Biblical King David's life, and it does not have a direct correlation to my books. But my current manuscript deals with Hymlumé and her children. I don't want to spoil it for those of you who haven 't read Moonblood, but Hymlumé's story has it's share of tragedy. And if she were to sing of her heartache, I think it would sound very much like this song. Especially if joined in her song by those of her children who remain to her.
 
Oh, dear. I'm listening to it as I type, and now I'm crying. I don't usually cry for music! I might have to switch to something else . . . . A number of Eric Whitacre's wonderful pieces makes me think of Hymlumé and her children. The sound of a thousand voices joined together. Sigh. But again, I'll leave this for now and move on.
 
Okay, this next one is rather random . . . particularly considering that I'm not that wild about Disney's Pocahontas. It's my husband's favorite Disney movie (he loves the music and the sad ending), but the story just isn't my favorite.
 
However, my husband got me to listen to the soundtrack. And then I started really, really liking the soundtrack. And then I was writing Goddess Tithe . . . and this final instrumental piece filled my head while I wrote the last chapter of that story.
 
 
Let it be here noted that the story of Goddess Tithe is nothing like that of Pocahontas. But the musical mood created is, I think, just about perfect for that last chapter. (You'll have to tell me if you think I'm right after you've read the book for yourself).
 
Okay, one more. Let's end on a completely different mood!
 
 
I think my current heroine might possibly react to a certain other character in a manner similar to this. Maybe not exactly like this, but very similar. :) But I'll say no more for now. (Isn't it just a darling song, though? I mean, really! Rohan sent me this song when we started dating and said it made him think of me . . . and I've liked it ever since.)

Okay, was that a bit eclectic? I'm afraid that's a fairly good summary of my musical tastes right there. Not much rhyme or reason to it!

What are some songs you are currently stuck on? Do share!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if you've ever heard of the musical, but Stephen Schwartz wrote a song called "Stranger to the Rain" for his musical, "Children of Eden." It always reminded me of Imraldera, like it's what she would have said to Fairbird if she ever had a chance.

Meredith said...

Oh, this is wonderful! Would you mind writing down the title of the David song so that I can look it up? I'm so thrilled that we'll learn more of Hymlume and her children! That storyline is one of my favorites in the series.

To Alison: I love Stranger to the Rain! Children of Eden is one of my absolute favorite musicals. "Stranger to the Rain" and "The Hardest Part of Love" are my favorite songs from it. What an ingenious idea to couple Yona's song with Imraldera. God bless you.

Hannah said...

Oh, what beautiful music! Good heavens, the song you gave to Eanrin sounds full of anguish. (0_0)

I just watched Pocahontas for the first time the other night. While I didn't particularly care for it either (they killed the brave Indian hero! They killed him! Please, do not do that to Sun Eagle!), I really do like the music. And that last song is so precious! It's perfect! So sweet! Sniffle, sniffle.

I like the song for your heroine of Book 7. So cool! Already, I like her! Who is that other character? Hmm...

I've been stuck on "When Love Sees You" by Mac Powell, "Born For This" by Mandisa, and "Colors of the Wind" from Pocahontas. *Sigh*

Bookishqueen said...

I have been stuck on Born for This by Mandisa and Remind me Who I Am (don't remember the singers name). Those are the two that I keep listening to.

Meredith said...

That's so funny! I've recently discovered "Music Inspired by The Story," and I've been listening to "When Love Sees You" constantly. It's so beautiful! I also love "Born for This." Such a perfect characterization of Queen Esther, and I cannot stop listening to "Be Born in Me" either. Such a wonderful album.

Anne Elisabeth Stengl said...

Oooh, wow, a bunch of fun music for me to check out! I might just have to spend the rest of the evening on youtube now . . . :) Thanks, ladies!

And Meredith, the name of that Eric Whitacre song is, "When David Heard." It's a very long piece, but so worth listening to the whole thing. Truly incredible! And if you enjoy chorale music, I recommend Eric Whitacre in general.

Jenelle Leanne said...

Pretty!

Usually I enjoy a smattering of Celtic, soundtracks to my favorite movies, and lots of Country (mostly older stuff), as well as lots of kids' music such as Steve Green's "Hide 'em in your heart" and Keith and Kristin Getty's "Songs that Jesus Said." (As my car is shared with two little ones who mostly dictate what music we listen to).

Lately, though, we're all stuck on my sister's debut album, "Whispered Stories" :) and my two little ones are constantly asking to "listen to Aunt Brittany" - a request I am more than willing to accommodate!

Molly said...

I don't normally get stuck on songs, although sometimes I'll hear one and be like "yeah I feel a scene coming on..."
But I've been really stuck on 'Radioactive' by Imagine Dragons for this weird new story I came up with recently. Anything by Train makes me think of love scenes, of all things.

I kind of like Pocahontas, though it was pretty lame sometimes, I thought hee hee. But I love 'Colors of the Wind'...

Clara said...

Oooh, I am going to look up 'Notre Dame de Paris'; it's something I think I will really enjoy!

Some music I'm currently stuck on is anything by Brian Crain, specifically 'Dream of Flying', 'Song for Sienna', and 'A walk in the Forest'. Those I can do ok playing softly in the background while I write, but anything that is vocal gets me completely distracted. I do love Tyrone Wells's song, 'Fool's Parade' and several other songs by him. His lyrics are always very clever. And ANY music from The Phantom of the Opera is always inspiring! :D

Abigail Hartman said...

Oh, that's just weird. I've been repeatedly listening to "Farewell" from Pocahontas. I love that last flourish - it gives me chills. I've also been listening to "The Plagues" and "Deliver Us" from The Prince of Egypt.

Like you, I can't usually listen to music and write (or, in fact, do much of anything). Jenny, on the other hand, can't write without music. It was quite the strain on our relationship until she got herself some headphones.

Anne Elisabeth Stengl said...

@Abigail: Heheh, that makes me laugh. Great minds think alike (and so do we!). :P

PRINCE OF EGYPT does have some fabulous music too . . . Glad you reminded me of it. I might have to pull that out again.

Meredith said...

Oh, my. That piece was phenomenal and made me cry! David and Absalom always break my heart, and Mr. Whitacre's song truly captures David's lament. If only Absalom had gone to David right away after the attack on his sister instead of nursing the grudge for all those years. I don't know if David would have done anything even then, (don't get me started on my frustration with his passivity regarding his family), but at least father and son could have possibly had an honest conversation. Such a complicated and tragic family saga. Thanks so very much for the new music suggestions.

I love choral music, and it brings back so many memories from high school and college. One of my favorite choral pieces is "Sing Me to Heaven," by Daniel Gawthrop, and in some ways it reminds me of Goldstone Wood, but I can't quite put my finger on why. God bless you.

Hannah said...

I'm also stuck on the entire soundtrack to "Peter Pan" by James Newton Howard! I LOVE the music.

Christa said...

I have "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" from "Mulan" stuck in my head right now.

Becky said...

Christa: I love that song!

Rina's Reading said...

I think I want to learn French now.

Unknown said...

I couldn't resist, I had to go buy Stray Italian Greyhound immediately! Can't express how much I love it, it's adorable!

I'm one of those writers that usually needs music that sets the mood, but even if I wasn't, I'd still listen to a wide variety. I'll listen to just about anything from Disney tunes to country to techno to foreign music.

One of my favorite music artists is Owl City and I've also have gotten fond of Japanese/Chinese/Taiwanese music lately. I also have a Hungarian song or two somewhere. I just love the sound of foreign languages! :)

Meredith said...

I recently listened to the Pocahontas song you referred to in this post. I'd seen the movie when I was little and actually didn't remember much about it, but the song really intrigued me; so sad yet hopeful at the end. So, I rented the movie, and it was lots better than I remembered from when I was younger. So excited to se how it ties in to the final chapter of Goddess Tithe. That trill of flute music during the song brings to mind a certain wood thrush. Ah, the possibilities! God bless.