Saturday, February 1, 2014

FIVE GLASS SLIPPERS -- The Winners

Rooglewood Press is pleased to announce the winners of the Five Glass Slippers creative writing contest . . .

What happens when Cinderella is so painfully shy that she cannot bear the idea of attending the royal ball? Or when the slipper fits . . . but on the wrong girl? What happens when Cinderella is determined to oust an imposter prince from her rightful throne? Or when she is a cendrillon miner working from a space station orbiting a toxic planet? What happens when Cinderella, a humble housemaid, is sent with a message for the master of a frightening fairy circus?

Here is Cinderella as you have never met her before, wearing glass slippers and off on unforgettable adventures!

WHAT EYES CAN SEE

Elisabeth Brown

Painfully shy Arella begs her stepmother to let her stay home from the prince's ball. But Duchess Germaine is determined that her beautiful stepdaughter should be presented at court along with her own two daughters. So, dressed in a gorgeous gown and a pair of heirloom slippers, Arella catches the eye of the crown prince . . . and finds her life suddenly far more complicated than she ever desired.


BROKEN GLASS

Emma Clifton

The slipper fits . . . but on the wrong girl! Rosalind never once danced with Prince Marius at the ball, for she is in love with his brother Henry. If only Rosalind and Marius would stop bickering long enough to invent a scheme, perhaps the three of them can find the real mystery lady. But they must work quickly, for dark deeds are afoot, and the kingdom is poised on the brink of disaster.


THE WINDY SIDE OF CARE

Rachel Heffington

Alisandra is determined to have her rights. She knows that she is the king’s secretly dispossessed daughter, the true heir to the throne. Prince Auguste is an imposter, and if she plays her cards right, Alis will prove it to the world! That is, if charming Auguste doesn’t succeed in winning her heart before she gets her chance . . .

 

A CINDER’S TALE

Stephanie Ricker

It’s a dangerous life, yet Elsa wouldn’t trade this opportunity to work at Tremaine Station, mining cendrillon from the seething surface of planet Bounder. Nevertheless, when a famous deep space explorer and his handsome son dock their starcraft at the space station, Elsa finds herself dreaming of far galaxies beyond Bounder’s blistering heat. There is no time for dreaming, however, when danger threatens the station, and Elsa and her fellow miners are tested to the limits of their courage.

 

THE MOON MASTER’S BALL

Clara Diane Thompson

After her terrifying experience there several years ago, the one place young housemaid Tilly longs to avoid is Bromley’s Circus. But when kindly Lord Hollingberry begs her to deliver a message to the mysterious Moon Master hidden away among the circus dwellers, Tilly can’t refuse . . . and finds herself ensnared in a web of enchantment cast by the loathsome Mrs. Carlisle and her beautiful goddaughter.

Congratulations to the winners! This was a very difficult decision, but when I and the other editors at Rooglewood Press finally put together this list of five, we all knew it was the perfect combination of stories and styles for the Five Glass Slippers collection. And we can hardly wait to share your stories with the reading world!
Winners, please email me (aestengl@gmail.com) letting me know that you have seen this announcement. If I don't hear from you between now and Monday, I will contact you then.
Enormous thanks again to all of you who participated. You didn't make my job of narrowing down to five easy! There were so many wonderful stories that didn't get picked despite how much we loved them. Your talent and storytelling abilities impressed us at Rooglewood Press, and I wish you all the very best in your writing future.
And at last we can reveal the cover as it will look in print!

Feel free to share the new front cover of Five Glass Slippers on your blog, facebook, or Twitter, along with a link to this post or to the Rooglewood Press announcement.

34 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, guys!

Chelsey said...

Way to go everyone! :)

Becky said...

Congratulations to all! I know this is going to be quite the collection of stories. It's on my to buy as soon as it comes out list.

Anonymous said...

Wow how exciting!! Congrats! Can't wait to read the completion! :)

Sarah Pennington said...

Congratulations, all! I'm looking forward to reading this compilation!

Meredith said...

Congratulations to all the authors. The premises of the stories sound very interesting, and I look forward to the collection. God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning, thinking, "Oh yeah, the winners are announced today! My story won't make it, and that's Ok. I mean, I won't be disappointed at all. Nuh uh." and OH MY WORD my story DID make it. MOST. EXCITING. DAY. EVER. Thanks SO much, Ms. Stengl! And congratulations to all the other winners!!

Molly said...

Oh my goodness, all of these sound amazing! I think I see how hard it was to choose!
Congratulations to everyone! (Clara I knew it I knew it I knew it)

Can't wait to read this talented authors' stories!! I'm really excited for y'all!

Gwen said...

Congratulations to all the winners! I can't wait to read all these fantastic sounding stories!

Clara said...

I AM SO THRILLED!!!! I MADE IT! I CAN'T BELIEVE I MADE IT!!!! THANK YOU ANNE ELISABETH!
Congrats to everyone!!!
@metaphoricalcello: which did you write? THey all sound amazing!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Clara Darling, and all the winners!!! :D Can't wait to read your stories when they come out!

Hannah said...

Congratulations, everyone!!! (Eeek, Clara! You made it! I'm so excited for you!)

Thank you, Anne Elisabeth, for this contest! It was so much fun to write stories and interact with other writers. I will definitely have to buy this book when it comes out!

Clara said...

@Hannah&Beka: Thank you both so much! I am utterly thrilled...I can't believe this is happening!

Tracey Dyck said...

Wow, huge congrats to the five winners! This sounds amazing!!! :D

Anonymous said...

@Clara Darling, I wrote "What Eyes Can See." Your story sounds fantastic! I'm so excited to read it! :)

Hannah said...

Can you tell us how many stories were entered?

Anne Elisabeth Stengl said...

@Hannah: I wish I could, but . . . we've agreed at Rooglewood Press to keep the number private. Just not certain how people would react, and we don't want writers to take the number as discouragement (one way or the other) for whether or not to try for the next contest. I will say that I had a personal goal in mind, and the number of submissions we received nearly doubled that. I was blown away!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to all the winners! So excited to read this collection!! The stories sound fascinating and fun; what an interesting five!

...Can't wait until the next contest...! :)

-Shantelle

Rebekah said...

Congratulations to all! They all sound REALLY interesting.
I didn't win, but who cares? I still want to read all these!

Jenelle said...

Congrats to all the winners! These all sound like really fabulous stories and I cannot wait to read them! :)

Bookishqueen said...

Congrats every body!

Meredith said...

Oh, Ms. Clara Darling, I wondered if perhaps that was you who had won. So excited for you! I always love your fan fiction and am so intrigued by your take on Cinderella. The teaser already has me salivating.

To know that the goal of submissions far exceeded expectations is absolutely phenomenal! In my opinion, it takes great courage to put your work out there. When you do, you know that you are utilizing your talents. That is what matters, for that is what God desires. We are all winners because we love stories and are willing to tell them. So, so exciting! Thank you once again, Mrs. Anne Elisabeth, for such a wonderful contest. Now I'm looking forward to revising my Cinderella stories (already have ideas for one of them), and for the next contest.

Molly said...

Is there any way I can persuade you to tell us which story kept you laughing? (you mentioned this in a previous post)
I'm just dying to know, but I completely understand if you can't tell. ;)

Anonymous said...

Congradulations, I can't wait to read this book(I hope it becomes and kindle book)

Jemma

Becky said...

Ms. Meredith, so gracious and encouraging as always: Thank you for writing your 10:44 PM post. I'm not even one of the writers and it just blessed my heart. You are right. It does take a lot of courage to submit one's work, and to do so again. So keep it up everyone. Press the submit button; put a stamp on the envelope and drop it in the box, and see what God may do! God's blessings to all, and again, congratulations to the winners.

Rachel Heffington said...

Wow, congratulations to all the other winners! When my Aussie friend messaged me first thing with the news that I had placed, I could scarcely believe it. Cannot wait to work on this project with everyone! :)

Meredith said...

To Ms. Becky:

That's very kind of you. Yes, it's vitally important to press onward. So, look for writing opportunities, (or any type of creative opportunities), and take the plunge. Each time you do, your craft will be enhanced, and you will grow. I think it would be fun if some of us could form a kind of writing group to get feedback from each other. Nothing belittling, but a nice, informal way to receive constructive feedback. Anyone else up for it? Mind you, other people might be in groups of this sort. I'm always a step behind on things. I've ben reading a writer's guide that had that suggestion in it, and I thought it was a good one. And, AHEM! it might give me a chance to read some of the phenomenal stories that so many talented writers create. Purely selfish motivation, you understand. LOL! God bless you all.

Clara said...

@Meredith:

How very kind you are, Meredith! I admire you and your constant cheer and kindness. Thank you so much. Just your mentioning me and my writing thrills me...I look up to you very much!

Becky said...

Clara, I know of you and some of your work through Ms. Anne Elisabeth's site and Hannah W. I feel like somebody we really know won!!! We're really happy for you! God blessings to you and the other winners.

Anna said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!! :D I am SO THRILLED for all of you who won!!!!!!!!! :D I am just so pumped for this next contest! I LOOOOOVE contests! Even if I don't win!! THANK YOU ANNE ELISABETH!!!!!! :D And congratulations again to everyone who did win!!

(Please forgive the excessive amounts of exclamation points. But I think they're well deserved!)

Clara said...

Mrs. Becky:

I feel I know you and Hannah as well! This blog has certainly given me many friends who I might not ever meet, but are dear to me all the same. Thank you so much!

Hannah said...

Meredith: A writing group would be fun! I know that I've worked on writing with a few of the young ladies here, but it's all pretty much been on an individual basis. Did you have any ideas on how to make it with several people involved? And if you'd ever like some feedback, feel free to email me. :)

Meredith said...

Oh, thank you, Hannah. That would be fantastic! Likewise, if you ever just want to discuss writing or anything else, feel free to email me.

I actually do not have any clear ideas accept possibly doing emails back and forth. Perhaps someone could propose short writing exercises, and those who were in the group could work on the exercises. Then, a time could be designated, (maybe once a month), for people to email their work to the group members and receive feedback. Just ideas. God bless you.

Unknown said...

@Meredith and Hannah:

I would love to be part of this writing group! You are both wonderful ladies, and I feel we would have an awesome time! :)